Go down
Stephen Chinaza
Active User
Active User
Posts : 10
Points : 16

Man dies from flesh-eating bacteria after swimming with new tattoo

on Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:56 am
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A man who ignored advice to wait two weeks before swimming with a new tattoo has died after being infected by a flesh-eating bacteria.

The 31-year-old swam in the Gulf of Mexico just five days after getting the religious tattoo.

He developed sepsis in his right calf when the tattoo, featuring a crucifix and a pair of hands praying, became infected in the warm waters of the Atlantic between Mexico and America.

Standard advice is not to go into open water for at least two weeks after having a tattoo.

The man developed a fever, chills and a rash close to the tattoo, which deteroriated over two days according to the British Medical Journal Case Report.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

He was admitted to hospital, by which time his leg had turned purple.

Doctors immediately suspected the vibrio vulnificus bug and the patient’s cirrhosis of the liver, from years of heavy drinking, made him more susceptible to the infection.

Within 24 hours of his admission, the man was on a life-support machine after suffering organ failure.

He battled septic shock, triggered as the infection starts a devastating immune response which sees the body attack its own organs.

After two weeks, the man’s condition improved, but his body eventually succumbed to septic shock, causing his kidneys to completely fail.

source [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum